Sunday, April 01, 2012

OPI New York City Ballet - Swatches and Review

Hello! Today I have five of the six shades from OPI's annual SoftShades collection to show you, and this year's theme is the New York City Ballet. Though I have never been a fan of sheer shades like this before, I have to admit there are a few winners in this collection, and don't even get me started on how perfect the glitter is.
A word of warning, this post is going to be extremely picture heavy!
The first shade from the collection that I have to show you is My Pointe Exactly, described by OPI as a "gorgeous sheer gray." I was apprehensive about this colour, I've told you before how much I love colours like OPI Skull & Glossbones, but people tend to comment that my fingers look dead. I think My Pointe Exactly might have the same effect, but I like it a lot!

Three coats, inside

Three coats, sunlight.

Four coats, sunlight. 
I mean to post a picture of four coats in the shade, but I'm incompetent and I saved over the file, so if you scroll up to the top of this post in the collage with all four, you will see what it looks like!

Four coats of My Pointe Exactly and one coat of Pirouette My Whistle in the shade.

Four coats of My Pointe Exactly and one coat of Pirouette My Whistle in the sunlight.

Then, I figured since OPI was nice enough to make pretty jellies for this collection, I would try my best to make a jelly sandwich with each colour. This is one more coat of My Pointe Exactly over the above combination.

Adding the extra layer of jelly makes this a little more subtle, while still being sparkly and very pretty!

The next colour in the series is Barre My Soul, described as a sheer beige. While I think maybe this is the most skin appropriate one for me, it wasn't my favourite one. It's similar looking in the bottle to OPI Bubble Bath, I hope to have a comparison for you soon!

Three coats, shade

Three coats, sunlight

Four coats, shade

Four coats, sunlight

Four coats of Barre My Soul with one coat of Pirouette My Whistle in the shade

Four coats of Barre My Soul and one coat of Pirouette My Whistle in the sun

Jelly sandwich time! One coat of Barre My Soul over the above combination

The same jelly sandwich in the sunlight!

Don't Touch My Tutu is the next colour I have from this collection and it is accurately described as a "wispy white." Some people have drawn comparisons between this and Essie Marshmallow, and while I don't own the Essie from the photos it looks like the OPI may be more sheer.

Three coats in the shade

Three coats in the sunlight

Four coats in the shade

Four coats in the sunlight

Four coats of Don't Touch My Tutu topped with one coat of Pirouette My Whistle

One coat of Pirouette My Whistle over four coats of Don't Touch My Tutu shown in the sunlight

Jelly sandwich - once again one extra coat of Don't Touch My Tutu!

The jelly sandwich in the sunlight! I love the effect this gives off - some people are saying these two polishes layered remind them of the infamous Lynnderella Snow Angel. 

Last up we have my absolute favourite from the collection, apart from the glitter, You Callin' Me a Lyre? This is a beautiful jelly pink that I will wear over and over again!

Three coats, shade

Three coats, sunlight

Four coats, shade

Four coats, sunlight
Isn't this so pretty and feminine?

Four coats plus one more of Pirouette My Whistle

Layering with Pirouette my Whistle in the sunlight

A pretty extra photo taken inside my apartment to show just how pretty this is!

One final jelly sandwich, one extra coat of You Callin' Me a Lyre?

So pretty!

I know sheers and jellies aren't everyone's cup of tea, but if you're looking for a palate cleanser, or something that you can get away with for an interview or an office job, these shades are perfect for you. They look so clean and feminine on and the jelly consistency makes them look super squishy! 
Even if you're not a fan of the jellies from this collection, did you see how beautiful Pirouette My Whistle is? I don't own any other glitters that are similar to this, a combination of matte silver hex glitter and eye-catching silver microglitter makes this one of my favourite polishes that has been released recently. I hope to get both a comparison post and a post with a variety of ways to wear Pirouette My Whistle up this week - but trust me, you won't be disappointed if you pick it up. 

All SoftShades nail lacquers contain no DBP, Toluene, or Formaldehyde, and
each includes OPI’s exclusive ProWide™ Brush for the ultimate in application.
New York City Ballet by OPI will be available April 2012, at Professional Salons
and Spas for ($10.95 CAN) suggested retail for each Nail Lacquer.

1 comment: