Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Nicki Minaj for OPI Comparisons & Layering

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed yesterday's swatches of four of the six lacquers from the upcoming Nicki Minaj collection. When the press release for these came out my mind immediately went to the Shrek collection, thinking that we had some dupes on our hands. Today I'm going to show you a few comparisons and I am happy to say I did not find any exact duplicates, so these Nicki Minaj polishes are winners in my book.

Here's a little reminder of the polishes I'm going to be comparing today. I hope you guys are okay with another picture heavy post.. keep reading!
The first colour I compared was Pink Friday, a gorgeous bubblegum pink. I initially thought it looked similar to Sparrow Me the Drama from the recent OPI Pirates of the Caribbean collection, but the two are more different than I originally assumed. The closest I found to it in my collection was Revlon's Pink Lingerie. Unfortunately the formula on Pink Lingerie was less than desirable, needing four coats to achieve the same opacity as two coats of Pink Friday. In the following photos I have OPI Sparrow Me the Drama on my index finger, Pink Friday on both my middle and pinky finger, and Revlon Pink Lingerie on my ring finger.

Indoors

Shade


The sun brings out the similarities between Pink Friday and Pink Lingerie.


Here you can see Pink Friday on the left and a dustier, darker Sparrow me the Drama on the right.

Overall, unless you're a polish collector like myself I can't see it necessary to own both Pink Lingerie and Pink Friday. The formula on the OPI lacquer is better in my opinion and the price difference between the two isn't too great. Sparrow Me the Drama is much darker and dustier than Pink Friday and I'm happy to have both in my collection. 

The next polish I have for comparison is Did It On 'Em, a stand out bright green. I don't have anything similar in my collection so these photos are really designed to give you a reference point on the OPI spectrum. On my index finger I have OPI Green-wich Village, Did It On 'Em on my middle and pinky fingers, and Banana Bandanna on my ring finger.



Shade



None of these colours are close to Did It On 'Em, so it's a welcome addition to my collection. 

The colour I was most eager to compare was Fly because I was positive that I had some similar polishes in my possession. I wasn't too far off - but still no dupes! I have OPI Suzi Says Feng Shui on my index finger, OPI Fly on my middle and pinky fingers, and China Glaze Custom Kicks on my ring finger. Custom Kicks and Fly are nearly identical in their base colour but Fly is a true creme while CK has gold shimmer. 


Shade


Look at the similarities between Fly and Custom Kicks!


Fly is on the left and Suzi Says Feng Shui from the Hong Kong collection is on the right


I love both of these polishes, they're so bright and I am happy to have both in my collection. I only used one coat of Custom Kicks for the opacity above while I needed three coats of Fly for the same look, but it really comes down to whether you prefer the creme or the subtle shimmer. Personally, I love having both. 

Now I know many people have been comparing Fly and Did It On 'Em to a few of the polishes released in OPI's shrek collection. I, unfortunately, don't have those particular polishes from the Shrek collection but Nicel from Operation: Nail It! agreed to let me show you a comparison she swatched on a nail wheel. Fly and Ogre the Top Blue are very different, but Did it On 'Em looks like a mix of Who the Shrek Are You? and Fiercely Fiona. Thanks Nicel!



Save Me is such a unique polish that I don't have anything remotely close to compare it to. Instead, I layered one coat of Save Me over the three creme polishes to show you some possible layering combinations that can be done with this collection. 





My favourite way to wear Save Me is definitely by itself. I don't mind that it takes four coats to get it opaque, I can't express how much I adore this polish. I really like the way it looks over Pink Friday aswell, I feel like some of the excitement gets lost when it's layered over Fly, but the bar glitter isn't so in your face. 

I can't get over how happy I am with the four polished I received from this collection. They are a little bright for a January release date but come spring these will be on my nails all the time. Do you guys have any other similar polishes? I have a small nail art series coming up featuring the polishes from this collection so stay tuned for that! Thank you so much for reading. 
xoxo Nikki



6 comments:

  1. Nice swatches! Thanks for the comparison :) I don't think I need another pink, seeing as I have so many I've never worn, but I'll definitely snag that glitter if I can find it! I'm not so sure on the blue and the green - we'll see if I like them when/if I find them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comparisons! :) Also, thanks for the link-back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for including the comparison wheel from ONI! I have the Shrek blue and green and although Who The Shrek Are You? and Did It On Em are VERY similar as I expected, I'm still getting the whole set cuz the others are different. I honestly don't think I have one single pink creme polish so this will be nice! Plus... I love Nicki Minaj... I just MUST have her polishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow it's amazing how different Suzi Says Fung Shui is from Fly. Before I saw them together I could swear they must be identical. Another victory for OPI!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the comparison, I am currently wearing yes we can pink from Essie and think it is very close to pink fiday, but i might get it just for the name lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comparisons! I've been looking for comparisons, and I'm very glad I found your blog! I am very surprised that Pink Friday doesn't have a dead on dupe, you'd think all the pinks and reds have been created by now with all the new collections every year! haha

    I do have a question though. Do you own China Glaze Flyin' High? It looks dead on with OPI Fly, but I don't own the OPI. Even the names sound similar. Any intake on this?

    ReplyDelete